Recent Post

thumbnail

European {Honeymoon-Inspired} Travel Journal: Provence, France, p.2


Welcome back to part two of our Provençal getaway! Since we were staying in Arles, we did quite a bit of meandering through the narrow + twisting streets of the town everyday. With almost every step, there was something that seemed to demand a photo ... so for a majority of the time, J was patiently waiting on me while I tried to capture the beauty before me. ;o)

 

We came across a great little hill in Arles that gave us the commanding view shown above. I loved all the weathered clay roof tiles and the "little Alps" in the distance. And, I have to add, I don't think I've ever been somewhere as peaceful and laidback as Provence ... so if you're looking to experience French beauty but don't want to deal with the hustle and bustle that often comes with Paris and other larger cities, I would absolutely recommend a vaca here.


Lavender was everywhere ... and I was in love. The color, the smell ... so heavenly. I think it would be fabulous to use this bloom as the sole inspiration for a countryside wedding {bonus points if it's actually in Provence!}. Unfortunately, April is not the month to come if you're hoping to see the lavender fields in bloom {that's more July-September} but I was satisfied with all the fresh and dried lavender available in the towns. :o) And maybe I'll just have to head back in a few months to see the lavender fields in full bloom {and the glorious sunflowers!}.


Oh, the soaps {see below}! Yes, I do believe I was slightly obsessed with the soaps spotted at the local markets and local shops + boutiques. I came home with bags of them! And lucky for me, I actually found a local German retail shop that sells them, as well! They are made in the Provence and come in a rainbow of different colors and scents - all intoxicatingly divine! My favorite? Chocolat and Pastis.


Love fallen confetti - the pastel hues made me smile. They had just had a small carnival/parade in Arles.


There were so many scenes and vignettes that we came across that made it so clear to me why so many artists flocked to this region for inspiration ... the line-up of boats looked like they were just begging to be transported into a watercolor ...


We ended one day with a leisurely dinner at Le Café Le Nuit {aka The Van Gogh Cafe}. This cafe in Arles is supposedly the same café that Van Gogh painted in his famed The Night Café. I have to admit, it really does look like it! If you go, definitely grab a drink and enjoy the atmosphere but I'd recommend staying away from the entrees ... subpar at best and the service was lacking. I'll share some yummy finds in my top tips coming up + Aigues-Mortes, Ste. Marie de la Mer + Avignon!

If you have any tips, insights, suggestions or comments, I'd love to hear them! Hope you enjoyed this installment of the European {Honeymoon-Inspired} Travel Journal! And to catch up on my other European travel entries, just click here.

{All images by me}

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

About