Recent Post

thumbnail

European {Honeymoon-Inspired} Travel Guide: Mykonos + Santorini, Greece

Almost a year ago, I shared a sneak peek of my getaway to the Greek Isles with my husband and friends. We took a week-long cruise to Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos and Olympia. It was a blissful escape from reality and I definitely recommend Greece as a fabulous destination for a honeymoon {um, duh, who wouldn't?!}. Hope you enjoy this look at our vaca and I jotted down some top tips at the bottom of the post just for you. ;)

Entry No. 41: Greek Isles
Corfu, Santorini, Mykonos, Olympia

We first visited the isle of Corfu and met the cutest little cats at a monastery. See if you can spot them:


The Corfu city center completely reminded me of a French town along the Riviera. The pale blue shutters and chippy paint screamed France which was beautiful but not what I was expecting.

Bye Corfu!
And then we docked in Santorini and all my Grecian dreams came true. The white-washed buildings with blue doors and roofs ... the steep mountains dotted with vibrant colors and punctuated with glittering pools - it was all here and we were some happy campers!

J+I are loving this happy little island!


On the walk down from Fira to the port, we passed by what seemed like thousands of donkeys and mules {which you could rent to ride down instead of walk}. Don't you love how their sweet faces are decorated with hearts and shells? But I'm not gonna lie ... I felt kind of sorry for these babies. :(


The next day, we woke up in Mykonos and had fun exploring the island all day:



CB's Top Tips for the Greek Isles

- Eat along the port of Mykonos and look for one of the notorious pelicans. The food is fab ... and it made my day to see one of the famous pelicans along the port - he was simply magnificent! And if you read up on it, there's a bit of a connection to Jackie O with the pelicans which is all too cool.

- Even though I really enjoyed our cruise, I kinda wished at the end that we had just flown to Santorini and stayed there for a week taking a boat to visit Mykonos and some of the other islands. Mykonos and Santorini were definitely my favorites of our cruise and I would have loved more time in both. Guess it just means we'll have to go back! ;)

- Don't miss the black sand beaches in Mykonos/Santorini. We missed them and were bummed - they're supposed to be amazing. Just rent a car or scooters and ask locals for directions.

- Do a little shopping in Santorini and Fira. I scored some really pretty pillow covers that I love and they always remind me of our trip. They also have cute jewelry in many of the boutiques.

- Eat, eat and eat some more. Some of the best food we've had in our lives. We should have ate more. ;) I'm not big on meat so I enjoyed stuffed peppers, hummus and vegetarian moussaka but J had some mighty fine looking gyros and octopus. Enjoy!

Want more Greece?
Read up on the time I visited Crete and Rhodes.
And the other time I visited Athens.
And this fun post imagining a wedding in Santorini.

If you have any tips, insights, suggestions or comments, I'd love to hear them! Happy Honeymooning!

Did you miss the other entries of CB's Travel Journal? Click here to catch up! ;o)

All images by moi.

Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

About